Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Landscape Technician position. The Landscape Technician is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level AO-2. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
1. Summary of Position:
The Landscape Technician supports the efforts of the Landscape and Grounds Department with planning and executing landscaping operations. Ensures proper maintenance of all landscaping aspects on the campus are carried out. Assists in the planning, organizing and implementing turf/landscape maintenance and renovations, as well as provides labor and equipment operation and support for all aspects of grounds work as required.
The position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times and emergency call-ins may be required. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Monday through Friday.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate equipment including but not limited to the dump trucks, recycling truck, front-end loader, backhoe, mowers, plows, tractors, leaf vacuum and leaf blowing machines, ice maker, utility vehicles, and all attachments associated with this equipment. Maintain a working knowledge of Massachusetts regulations, safety standards, and codes.
- Perform landscape and grounds duties by providing labor support. Duties include but are not limited to loading and unloading trucks, snow and ice removal, lawn mowing, raking, weeding, tree trimming, trash removal and recycling collection, and assistance on specialized grounds needs at the Athletic grounds.
- Inspect equipment and perform minor maintenance, repair, and servicing.
- Assist with general project work including setting up furnishings and equipment, office moves, loading and unloading delivery trucks, and participate with set-up and break-down of special functions such as Commencement, Reunion, and other event activities.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- MA DOT card or ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire
- Pesticide and hoisting licenses or ability to acquire within 6 months of hire
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing are required in order to operate college vehicles.
- Strong written and verbal communication organizational and time-management skills including the ability to plan, organize and multi-task when priorities change frequently
- CORI check
- General knowledge in landscaping practices
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- Experience in the operation of motorized vehicles and equipment; trucks, tractor, chainsaw, general landscaping tools
- Basic computer skills
- Associates degree in Landscape/Horticulture
- 1 year of related vehicle operation and equipment use
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
Your application has been successfully submitted.